The VDPAM 478A course will give participants the opportunity to learn swine production management and consulting skills within a progressive swine production and management system. Time will be split approximately with half in-class discussion topics and half on-farm learning opportunities where students will visit a breeding farm, nursery facility, finishing facility, wean-to-finish facility, gilt developer unit, and a truck wash facility. Students will be responsible for their own transportation for traveling to and from Audubon and to site activities for this rotation.
- Develop an understanding of common swine consulting areas within pork production
- Learn about the interaction of veterinary medicine and swine commercial production
- Become familiar with key performance indicators and process improvement within commercial production
- Develop an understanding of how to work within a production system across multiple locations
- Gain experience working with daily animal caretakers and large production system owner/operators
- Veterinary Students – $2,020
- Veterinary Students must be in second half of 3rd year or beyond in veterinary school to enroll.
- Veterinarians - $4,950