This experience is one of a kind and enables students to gain valuable knowledge about the swine industry, develop and practice clinical and production management skills, experience swine veterinary practice, and further develop communication skills. We work with AMVC in Audubon, IA and a wide variety of industry stakeholders to provide you with a diverse look into the pork industry and the practice of swine medicine.
- Participants will be able to review and analyze hands-on practice of clinical swine veterinary techniques including: population observation and data collection strategies
- Participants will have the basic competencies of animal handling and restraint, ante-mortem and post-mortem diagnostic sample collection, and humane euthanasia
- Participants will be able to analyze post-mortem samples and learn the process of submitting diagnostic samples to the laboratory
- Participants will complete an electronic medical record detailing the history, evaluation, diagnostic sampling, results, and interpretation of the sites visited
- Participants will complete a client communication report summarizing their evaluation and recommendations for the site
- Participants will learn how to complete a veterinary feed directive (VFD) form, CVI and different methodologies to calculate water medications for a barn
- Participants will manage the farm investigation process
- Veterinary Students - $2,020
- Veterinary Students must be in second half of 3rd year or beyond in veterinary school to enroll.
- Veterinarians – $4,950
- February 3, 2020 – February 16, 2020
- March 16, 2020 – March 26, 2020
- May 11, 2020 – May 24, 2020
- July 06, 2020 – July 19, 2020
- August 31, 2020 – September 13, 2020
- September 28, 2020 – October 11, 2020
- February 1, 2021 – February 14, 2021
- March 15, 2021 – March 28, 2021
- This course is subject to a minimum number of participants. A 30 day notice will be given if the minimum enrollment is not fulfilled.
- All international participants must complete an application and schedule a videoconference with the SMEC staff prior to enrollment.
- SMEC 480 Orientation Day Agenda