- Program Specialist II, Swine Medicine Education Center at Iowa State University College of Veterinary Medicine
- Service Manager, Christensen Family Farms
- Agriculture Assistant Professor, Iowa Lakes Community College
- Nursery Territory Manager Assistant , Murphy Brown LLC
- Finishing Territory Manager Assistant, Murphy Brown LLC
- Feeder to Finish Swine Farm Manager, Prestage-Stoecker Farms
- Bachelor of Science, Agriculture Studies, 2006, Iowa State University
- Associate of Arts, Agriculture Transfer, 2004, Iowa Lakes Community College
Selected Peer-Reviewed Publications
- Ruston C, Linhares D, Blay M, Nickel M, Skoland K, Kittrell H, Brown J, Karriker L, Breuer M, Holtkamp D. 2020. Evaluation of a staged loading procedure for the loadout of market swine to prevent the transfer of swine pathogen contaminated particles from livestock trailers to the barn. Submitted to the Journal of Swine Health and Production. Accepted February 16, 2021.
- Kittrell HC, Mochel JP, Brown JT, Forseth AMK, Hayman KP, Rajewski SM, Coetzee JF, Schneider BK, Ratliffe B, Skoland KJ, Karriker LA. 2020. Pharmacokinetics of Intravenous, Intramuscular, Oral, and Transdermal Administration of Flunixin Meglumine in Pre-wean Piglets. Frontiers in Veterinary Science. Aug 28;7:586. doi: 10.3389/fvets.2020.00586. eCollection 2020.
- Ruston C, Canning P, Monahan V, Fitzgerald C, Brown J, Skoland K, Kittrell H, Hayman K, Karriker L. 2020. Development and improvement of an international webcast series to expand the accessibility of swine medicine resources. Journal of Veterinary Medical Education. 2020 May 15:e20190033. doi: 10.3138/jvme.2019-0033. Online ahead of print. PMID: 32412373.
- Canning P, Costello N, Mahan-Riggs E, Schwartz K, Skoland K, Crim B, Ramirez A, Linhares D, Gauger P, Karriker L. 2019. Retrospective study of lameness cases in growing pigs associated with joint and leg submissions to a veterinary diagnostic laboratory. J Swine Health Prod. 2019;27(3):118-124.
- Brown J, Rademacher C, Baker S, Poonsuk K, Cheng T, Skoland K, Canning P, Forseth A, Karriker L. 2019. Efficacy of a commercial porcine epidemic diarrhea virus vaccine at reducing duration of viral shedding in gilts. J Swine Health Prod. 2019;27(5):256-264.
- Akin, E., Johnson, A., Brown, J., Jass, C., Kittrell, H., Millman, S., Ross, J., Skoland, K., Stalder, K., Stinn, J.,Karriker, L. (2019). Providing handling tools to move non-ambulatory pigs on-farm. Proceedings of the 53rd Congress of the International Society for Applied Ethology. Bergen, Norway. August 5, 2019. p.228
- Canning, P., Bates, J., Skoland, K., Coetzee, J., Wulf, L., Rajewski, S., Wang, C., Gauger, P., Ramirez, A., Karriker, L. (2018). Variation in water disappearance, daily dose, and synovial fluid concentrations of tylvalosin and 3‐O‐acetyltylosin in commerical pigs during five day water medication with tylvalosin under field conditions. J Vet Pharmacol Ther, Aug;41(4):632-636. doi: 10.1111/jvp.12503.
- Canning, P., O’Brien, K., Thompson, V., Madson, D., Skoland, K., Ramirez, A., Linhares, D., Gauger, P., Karriker, L. (2018). Suitability of four injectable anesthetic protocols for percutaneous synovial fluid aspiration in healthy swine under field conditions and assessment of lameness seven days post procedure. Journal of Swine Health and Production, 26(3):130-136.
- Canning P, Viall A, O’Brien K, Madson D, Skoland, K., Krull A, Linhares D, Gauger P, Ramirez A and Karriker L. 2018. Fluid analysis and cytology reference intervals for synovial fluid from carpal and tarsocrural joints in non-lame commercial growing swine. Am J Vet Res. 2018 Aug;79(8):858-866. doi: 10.2460/ajvr.79.8.858.
- Canning, P., Viall, A., O’Brien, K., Madson, D., Skoland, K., Krull, A., Linhares, D., Gauger, P., Ramirez, A., Karriker, L. (2018). Determination of reference intervals for fluid analysis and cytologic evaluation variables in synovial fluid samples obtained from carpal and tarsal joints in commercial nonlame growing swine. American Journal of Veterinary Research, 79(8), 858-866. doi: 10.2460/ajvr.79.8.858
- Canon A, Lauterbach N, Bates J, Skoland K, Thomas P, Ellingson J, Ruston C Breuer M, Gerardy K, Hershberger N, Hayman K, Buckley A, Holtkamp D and Karriker L. 2017. Evaluation of pyramid training as a method to increase diagnostic sampling capacity during an emergency veterinary response to a swine disease outbreak. Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association. Jun 15;250(12):1395-1399. doi: 10.2460/javma.250.12.1395.
- Holtkamp D, Myers J, Thomas P, Karriker L, Ramirez A, Zhang J, Mowrer C, Bates J, Skoland K, Wang C. 2017. Efficacy of an accelerated hydrogen peroxide disinfectant to inactivate porcine epidemic diarrhea virus in swine feces on metal surfaces. Canadian Journal of Veterinary Research. Apr;81(2):100-107.66.