This experience is one of a kind and enables students to gain valuable knowledge about the swine industry, develop and practice clinical and production management skills, experience swine veterinary practice, and further develop communication skills. We work with AMVC in Audubon, IA and a wide variety of industry stakeholders to provide you with a diverse look into the pork industry and the practice of swine medicine.
- Participants will be able to perform a complete site assessment on various phases of swine production including a sow farm and wean-to-finish sites
- Students will have the basic competencies of animal handling and restraint, ante-mortem and post-mortem diagnostic sample collection, and humane euthanasia
- Participants will be competent in detailing the history, evaluation, diagnostic sampling, results, and interpretation of the sites visited
- Participants will complete an electronic medical record detailing the history, evaluation, diagnostic sampling, results, and interpretation of the sites visited
- Participants will be able to analyze post-mortem samples and learn the process of submitting diagnostic samples to the Iowa State Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory and will work through these submissions with a diagnostician
- Participants will learn how to complete a veterinary feed directive (VFD) form, CVI and different methodologies to calculate water medications for a barn
- Veterinary Students - $2,020
- Veterinary Students must be in second half of 3rd year or beyond in veterinary school to enroll.
- Veterinarians – $4,950
- February 5, 2024 – February 18, 2024
- March 18, 2024 – March 31, 2024
- May 13, 2024 – May 26, 2024
- July 8, 2024 – July 21, 2024
- September 3, 2024 – September 15, 2024
- September 30, 2024 – October 13, 2024
- February 3, 2025 – February 16, 2025
- March 17, 2025 – March 30, 2025
- This course is subject to a minimum number of participants. A 30 day notice will be given if the minimum enrollment is not fulfilled.
- All international participants must complete an application and schedule a videoconference with the SMEC staff prior to enrollment.
- SMEC 480 Orientation Day Agenda